Monday, October 7, 2013

Recipe : Spicy Beef Stir Fry


Generally when I return from a business trip, I ask my son what he would like me to make for dinner his first night home, and so I did again yesterday after a brief stint in Atlanta.  He asked for a beef stir fry.  I had already picked up a few things I could use at the farmers' market earlier that morning and then added a few more to my list for the trip to Wegman's for my week's menus.  The stir fry turned out very tasty and several folks on my Facebook page requested the recipe and so here it is:



Recipe serves 2
Prep time : 30 minutes
Cook time : 10 minutes approx.



Ingredients

2 thin sliced strip steaks cut into small squares
4 Tbsp Ponzu sauce
1 Tbsp Mirin
3 dashes sesame oil
1/4 tsp ginger oil
1 tsp fish sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 Tbsp sesame seeds
1 small hot red chili seeded and cut into small fine strips - leave the seeds in if you can handle the heat
1 inch piece ginger diced finely
1 medium onion cut into large chunks
2 carrots - peeled and cut on the bias
10 Snow pea pods cut on the bias into strips
1 small bunch Tat soi - I found it at the farmers market - if you can't find, baby spinach will work too
10 - 12 sprigs fresh cilantro - coursely chopped
juice of half lime


Recipe

Combine the beef squares, Ponzu, Mirin, sesame oil, ginger oil, fish sauce, salt & pepper in a bowl and set aside.  Prep all the other ingredients while the beef marinates.  Heat a wok on high heat and add 3 Tbsp canola oil.  When the oil is hot, add the beef only (save the marinating liquid for later) to the wok and stir to brown all the pieces - about 2 minutes.  Add the sesame seeds and stir for another 30 seconds.  Remove the beef into a bowl.  Keeping the wok on high heat, add the red chili and ginger and stir for 10 seconds being careful not to burn them. Quickly add the onions, carrots and snow peas and stir for about 2 - 3 minutes or until the onion starts to caramelize.  Add the marinating liquid and continue stirring for another 2 minutes.  Add the seared beef along with the Tat soi into the wok and stir for one more minute.  Turn off heat and add the cilantro and lime juice.  Serve with Jasmine or Basmati rice.  

Gewurztraminer or a semi dry Riesling would be a great pairing for this recipe

For a vegetarian option you can use extra firm tofu or add soy beans to the mix of vegetable.  If using Soy beans you may want to pre steam them for a short time as they can be tough if not cooked enough.

I hope you try it out and enjoy.  Feel free to provide feedback if you do.

Bon Appetit!!!
Swati


2 comments:

  1. I'm really amazed for the Recipes For Stir Fry given here in your blog. The photo is of this recipe looks very delicious and when I saw it, it makes me hungry. I will do this tomorrow for our lunch and I'm sure my family will love this very much. Thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sherri. Please let me know how your stir fry turned out and if you liked it. Also, let me know if you made any variations.

    ReplyDelete