Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Mushroom "Pappardelle" w/ Sundried Tomato Pesto




Last weekend, a friend suggested we walk over to our local winter farmer's market since it was a beautiful day.  It's not quite as large as we have in the summer months, but it's a good way to support some local businesses. The winter market is housed in one of the many churches in our little suburban town where if you walk around, you're bound to run into someone you know.  

First we stopped at the farm stands outside to pick up some interesting produce like Hannah Yams which I'd never tried before and some watermelon radishes which I generally only see served in restaurants.  We moved inside and perused through the many offerings of prepared foods like kielbasa, pastas, and baked goods eventually winding up at The Foraged Feast stand which highlights all different kinds of mushrooms.  I discovered mushrooms late in life, and today absolutely love them.  I was eyeing the King Oyster Mushrooms and began talking to the gentleman at the stand.  He suggested that I could cut the stem to resemble pappardelle pasta and make a healthier version of any dish where it is used. So of course I was on a mission because I'm always looking for healthy recipes.  I love pasta but only eat it as a rare treat any more. The next night, my son wanted steak and since I try to avoid too much red meat, I decided to treat myself to the mushrooms instead.  I would roast the Hannah yams as a side for us both along with some sauteed broccoli. 

So here's the recipe of what I made.  It came out delicious and I didn't feel overstuffed after eating.  I kept the mushrooms a bit firm so the texture wasn't quite like a pasta, but they can be boiled a minute or two longer if that is your desired result.  

For the "Pasta":

1/2 lb of King Oyster Mushrooms cut lengthwise into thin slices.  I removed some of the outer cap to make this work and saved them to use in an omelette for breakfast

Bring a pot of water to a boil adding salt to taste.  Once the water is boiling, add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.  Drain and place into a serving bowl.  Add 2 tbsp pesto (recipe below), stir to coat and serve.

This recipe makes one serving




For the Pesto:

4 ozs Sundried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
1 clove garlic roughly chopped
1/4 cup raw Walnuts
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
5 basil leaves
Olive Oil

In a food processor combine all ingredients except olive oil and pulse until it is coarsely chopped. With the food processor on low, stream in olive oil through the feeding tube and continue until  you have the desired consistency.  While I like my traditional pesto to be fairly fine, I prefer this one a bit more chunky.  It's entirely up to you.  Leftover pesto will last in a jar in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.  This one works well as a spread on whole grain bread with some cottage cheese too.


The Complete meal - "Pappardelle", Hannah Yams & Broccoli
  

No comments:

Post a Comment