Saturday, March 17, 2012

Biodynamic Bordeaux with the Wino Family!!

A little over a year ago I was invited to join a wine tasting group in NYC.  Since the hosts only have so much room at the table, at first I was to be included only as a replacement if someone else couldn't make it, but I didn't care I was thrilled!!  I am now a regular as I apparently scared many into leaving the group. :) My love for food is only equalled, and at times surpassed, by my love for wine.  The group is made up of a wonderful lot of people from all walks of life with a common passion for great wine.  Most of us have done some studying at the WSET in NYC with some in the Master of Wine program.  I am not certain I will ever get to that level with the limited time I have to commit to such a rigorous program but our gatherings are a wonderful way to taste amazing wines with other wine geeks.




One of us will choose a theme for the evening and provide everyone with some information in advance.  There is a Google Docs document which allows us to note which wine we will bring to avoid duplication.  Our hosts, C & K graciously open up their home to the wino family and thus the fun begins.  Last night's theme was biodynamic/organic Bordeaux.  I have not been able to make the last couple of tastings which used to be held once a week but have now reduced to once a month, but this one I was excited about.  The Bordeaux region is one of my favorites and I have visited the area more than once.  No California winery will ever come close to producing the style of wines that come from this region.  That, of course, is my opinion.  There is something to be said for tradition and one can almost taste it in a glass of French wine, and it is something I find lacking in most of the mass produced wines of the new world.  Don't get me wrong I love the wines of the new world as well at the right time and place and with the right food.  And you can take me to Napa & Sonoma any day of the week!


We tasted 14 bottles of wine from different vintages.  Some from the left bank and some from the right.  The table was set beautifully, as always, with all the necessities including some meats & cheeses from Murray's deli, bread, and nuts.  We began at approximately 8:30pm and for the next three hours ate, drank, talked and discussed wine in between.  Our topics of conversation have no limits and could go in almost any direction.  Last night, for example, we learned that a sexually deprived male fruit fly likes to drink 15% alcohol to work off its frustration.  Now where else would I possibly pick up information of this sort?

We pour three wines at a time and then talk about each one.  With 14 bottles amongst 9 people, we would be plastered if we actually drank the wine.  Also, we would not be able to taste the later wines very well if our senses were reduced by alcohol, and so the red solo cups are used to spit out our tastings.  The need to drive home afterwards is another reason to not imbibe most of what I taste.  I save that honor for the over the top wines of the evening.  Some of the wines on our list for the evening were :


2010 Chateau Tire Pe Die M
2009 Chateau La Tour Figeac Saint-Emilion Grand Cru*
2000 & 2009* Chateau Couronneau - Bordeaux Superieur
1995, 2007* & 2008* Chateau Pontet Canet - Fifth Growth Pauillac
2008 Chateau Senejac - Haut Medoc
2008 Chateau Guiraud - Sauternes*
2008 Chateau Moulin de Tricot - Margaux*
2008 Chateau d' Arcole
2006 Domaine de L' A - Cotes de Castillon*
2000 Chateau Gombaude-Guillot - Pomerol*
1970 Chateau Canon 1er Gran Cru Classe Saint-Emilion*

There were others but I did not get a chance to jot them down after my phone died.  The asterisk represents favorites among the group.  The La Tour Figeac we served two ways - half out of the bottle and other half was run through a blender for 30 seconds to aerate it.  The difference was definitely noticeable.  The blending thing was a new one for all of us and some discussion was had on the subject.  The tasting ended with two "out of theme" bottles as they generally do.  These are not typically spit out wines and tonight's offerings did not disappoint.  We had a 1970 Chateau Canon St Emilion that was absolutely brilliant followed by a delicious, Sauternes for that dessert effect.

I love hanging out with my wino family and learning more on the subject each time.  If you enjoy wine, I encourage you to start your own group.  It's a great way to meet people and taste wines that you might not otherwise do.

Santé



No comments:

Post a Comment