Sunday, February 26, 2012

Healthier Options for Takeout

Since I started this blog, some have asked me if I cook "like this" everyday.  The truth is yes, I try to.  But as we all know that isn't always possible. The problem is I am not a fan of takeout and can't afford to eat at restaurants quite so often.  My solution is to use prepared or frozen ingredients that I purchase at the store and turn them into a quick and delicious meal in less time than it takes to order and pickup mediocre takeout food.

Today was a busy day.  There were too many loads of laundry to do, sheets to change, a house to clean, food shopping for the week, along with my son's activities.  After 2 hours on the tennis court my son was hungry and I hadn't even thought about dinner.  For just such nights I keep a few things around the house that help me out.  We had Veal Osso Buco Ravioli with sauteed yellow and green Romano flat beans.  And it was ready in 20 minutes.

The ravioli is a Mario Batali brand and there are many different stuffings.  The veal osso buco is one of my favorites.  All I do is boil some water, cook the ravioli for 4 minutes, and toss it with some extra virgin olive oil and some parmigiano reggiano. 

The Romano beans I buy frozen at Trader Joe's.  I saute them pretty much the same way I cook most of my veggies - toast cumin seeds in olive oil, add garlic, add the beans, salt and pepper.  Saute for 3 minutes, then add 2 tbsps of water, cover and cook on medium low heat for 8-10 minutes.

This dinner literally took less than 20 minutes and is so much healthier than any takeout food you might consider.  Trader Joe's, Wegman's and other specialty markets today carry so many options in partially prepared meals and allow you to feed your family a quick and healthy meal that they will love.


If anyone has another shortcut meal like this, please post and share with us.  May you have many culinary adventures this week. 

Swati

No comments:

Post a Comment