Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

What do cooking and the road have in common?  I miss them both.  Yesterday, I had a meeting about an hour away from home and though the drive there was busy with phone calls, the drive back was rather quiet.  That’s when I realized how much I miss the road.  And I don’t mean traveling which I have done plenty of, but driving on the road.  I really enjoy driving, because I find it peaceful and it’s a great time to do lots of thinking.  I feel the same way about cooking – it’s very relaxing for me.  Unfortunately of late, I have not had much chance to do either very much.  My new job allows me to work from home (I am not complaining about the convenience & flexibility of this) and life in general leaves little time for any serious cooking any more. 

While driving yesterday, I suddenly had the notion to go home and make cookies for the Thanksgiving holiday.  Not just cookies from a recipe, but I wanted to experiment and change a few old tried and true recipes to make them more festive for the occasion.  And so I used my time to listen to the radio and devise a plan.  I stopped at the store on the way and picked up a few things.  After finishing up my meetings around 7pm, taking care of dinner & helping my son with his homework, I started baking. 




First I made some Madeleines.  I love these French cakelike cookies and make them every year for the Christmas holidays.  But to keep in the spirit of the season at hand, I made Pumpkin Madeleines laced with bourbon.  I took the basic recipe that I’ve had for over 20 years (not even sure where I got it anymore), and added some Woodford’s Reserve instead of vanilla and folded in 2/3 Cup pumpkin puree in at the end.  I also added ground cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and nutmeg into the dry ingredients.  Crossing my fingers as I removed them from the oven onto the cooling rack, I tasted one.  It was a success.  So much so, that my son wanted to eat the entire tray.



After finishing up dinner and cleaning the kitchen, I set off making some oatmeal cookies, once again with a pumpkin twist to them.  What I ended up with is spicy pumpkin oatmeal cookies with a maple glaze.  Again I used my usual oatmeal raisin cookie recipe, eliminated the raisins and added in some pumpkin and spices.  The glaze recipe I found online.


The funniest part of my need to make cookies around the holidays is that my son and I don’t really eat cookies.  He’ll eat a few when they are fresh and warm but then they are forgotten.  So why do I bake?  To deliver to my friends and neighbors of course!!


My Thankful list for 2013

  • I am thankful for being healthy and pain free!
  • I am thankful for a wonderful life!
  • I am thankful for my awesome son who makes each day worth living!
  • I am thankful for my mother who is always there for us no matter what!
  • I am thankful I had a wonderful father who I miss daily but especially during the holidays!
  • I am thankful for my family everywhere in the world!
  • I am thankful for my friends near & far who are there for me when I need them!
And last but not least……
  • I am thankful for the opportunity to eat great food, drink wonderful wines and the ability to travel!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment